- The CGIAR Independent Science and Partnership Council (ISPC), IFPRI, and PIM (as part of Flagship 1 activities) held a 3-day workshop (Feb 26-28, Washington D.C.) on assessing the impact of research on managing natural resources for sustainable production systems. The workshop was followed by a policy seminar "Managing natural resources for sustainable production systems: A research agenda at the crossroads", which provided insights from economics, integrated landscape strategies, and geo-spatial analytics to recommend ways forward for NRM research that most effectively contribute to the development of sustainable production systems. Visit this page for seminar recording and read post-event blog.
- Global Futures and Strategic Foresight team working with IFPRI’s IMPACT model contributed to a new IFPRI Issue Brief examining the different assessments of the cost of ending hunger and undernutrition in the world by 2030. IFPRI Director General Shenggen Fan summarizes findings in this blog.
- A new status report by the Agricultural Science and Technology Indicators (ASTI) team finds that West African countries are now in a better position to perform high-quality, production-boosting agricultural research than they were a decade ago, thanks to the West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (WAAPP). Read more
- ASTI Southeast Asia and the Pacific, a new joint project facilitated by the Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), aims to build capacity at the country level for analysis, dissemination, and advocacy that informs and encourages effective and efficient agricultural research. Read more
- CGIAR colleagues working to reduce the damage of Banana Xanthomonas Wilt (BXW), a bacterial disease that emerged in Uganda in 2001 and has since proved to have a devastating effect on banana production, are using IMPACT model to analyse long-term socio-economic impact of BWX. Read more in this blog.
Bell, Andrew; Zavaleta Cheek, Jennifer; Mataya, Frazer; and Ward, Patrick S. 2018. Do as they did: Peer effects explain adoption of conservation agriculture in Malawi. Water 10(1): 51. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/w10010051
Lybbert, Travis J.; Magnan, Nicholas; Spielman, David J.; Bhargava, Anil K.; and Gulati, Kajal. Targeting technology to increase smallholder profits and conserve resources: Experimental provision of laser land-leveling services to Indian farmers. Economic Development and Cultural Change. Article in press. First published online on December 28, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1086/695284
Mondal, Md. Hossain Alam; Rosegrant, Mark W.; Ringler, Claudia; Pradesha, Angga; and Valmonte-Santos, Rowena. 2018. The Philippines energy future and low-carbon development strategies. Energy 147(15): 142-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.01.039
Petsakos, Athanasios; Hareau, Guy; Kleinwechter, Ulrich; Wiebe, Keith D.; and Sulser, Timothy B. Comparing modeling approaches for assessing priorities in international agricultural research. Research Evaluation. Article in press. First published on February 20, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/reseval/rvx044
Raymundo, Rubí; Asseng, Senthold; Robertson, Richard D.; Petsakos, Athanasios; Hoogenboom, Gerrit; Quiroz, Roberto; Hareau, Guy; and Wolf, Joost. Climate change impact on global potato production. European Journal of Agronomy. Article in press. First published online on December 1, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2017.11.008
Ananth, P. N.; Sahoo, P. R.; Babu, Suresh Chandra; Barik, N. K.; and Sundaray, J. K. 2018. Scaling up innovations through adaptive research: An institutional analysis and lessons from farm science centers in India. IFPRI Discussion Paper 1711. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15738coll2/id/132314
Brooks, Karen; and Place, Frank. 2018. Global Interlinkage of National Agricultural and Rural Policies: Technical Change, Trade, and the Environment. In Handbook of International Food and Agricultural Policies, eds. W. Meyers and T. Johnson. Chapter 22, pp. 483-504. World Scientific: Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1142/9789813226463_0022
Fan, Shenggen; Headey, Derek D.; Laborde Debucquet, David; Mason-D’Croz, Daniel; Rue, Christopher; Sulser, Timothy B.; and Wiebe, Keith D. 2018. Quantifying the cost and benefits of ending hunger and undernutrition: Examining the differences among alternative approaches. IFPRI Issue Brief. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). https://doi.org/10.2499/9780896292994
Haile, Beliyou; Cox, Cindy M.; Azzarri, Carlo; and Koo, Jawoo. 2017. Adoption of sustainable intensification practices: Evidence from maize-legume farming systems in Tanzania. IFPRI Discussion Paper 1696. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15738coll2/id/132234
Ke, Sam Oeurn; and Babu, Suresh Chandra. 2018. Agricultural extension in Cambodia: An assessment and options for reform. IFPRI Discussion Paper 1706. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15738coll2/id/132261
Ngan, Pham Hoang; and Babu, Suresh Chandra. 2018. Agriculture extension in Viet Nam: An assessment and reform options. IFPRI Discussion Paper 1707. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15738coll2/id/132264
Signorelli, Sara; Haile, Beliyou; and Kotu, Bekele. 2017. Exploring the agriculture-nutrition linkage in northern Ghana. IFPRI Discussion Paper 1697. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15738coll2/id/132235
Stads, Gert-Jan; and Beintema, Nienke M. 2017. The West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program. ASTI Status Report. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15738coll2/id/132248